After purchasing a large piece of heavy equipment, transport companies are responsible for bringing it to the buyer’s address. Unlike regular transportation companies, specialized trucking companies have heavy equipment hauling permits, trailers, insurance and expertise that’s needed to make sure your purchase arrives on time and in the same condition as when it left the seller.
You can contact these heavy equipment transport companies by phone or by clicking the Get Shipping Quotes button (conveniently located on each listing) to compare shipping quotes on :
How are heavy equipment shipping quotes calculated ?
Whether you are dealing with a national or international transport company, all of them use the same basic criteria when formulating shipping quotes:
- Specifications : If an item is tall or weighs a lot, then sometimes additional permits, equipment and planning logistics are required, which could affect the shipping total. Tip: Sending them pictures or a link to the sales listing will give them the same amount of information that you have.
- Final Destination
- Longer routes obviously have higher fuel costs. Some routes have higher tolls and the more rural routes will have less options to get around them.
Type of heavy equipment transportation trailers
Flatbeds are extremely popular and are widely used because they exude a great sense of versatility. Generally, a flatbed is used to load freights on its tip, sides, and rear. With these capabilities, flatbeds have truly become the primary and leading assets of the trucking industry.
This kind of trailer has the capability to carry a maximum legal freight dimension and weight which are as follows:
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight weight of 48,000 pounds.
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Flatbed Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Flatbed Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 8.5 ft
A Lowboy Trailer is an unpowered trailer which is commonly used to haul freight. These kinds of trailers are generally designed to carry and transport taller goods and items. This means that the items to be carried to a Lowboy Trailer are taller than the legal height of items that are commonly carried by flatbeds. Our expert advisors will indicate if you need state permits for your particular load or type of freight. Basically, a lowboy that has two axles can haul around 40,000 pounds. The maximum weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Lowboys Maximum weight is 40,000 pounds for a 2-axle Lowboy Trailer; additional weight of up to 80,000 pounds depending on the number of axles used (weight of the trailer and weight of the load added together).
- Lowboys Maximum Dimensions:
- Maximum Lowboy Well Length- 24 ft – 29.6 ft
- Maximum Lowboy Well Height- 18 in – 24 in
- Maximum Legal Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 11.5 ft – 12 ft
- Maximum Legal Overall Load Height- 14 ft
Step Deck Trailers – Single Drop Trailers
Step Deck – Stepdeck Trailers are otherwise known as drop deck types and they are in fact a version of the flatbed trailer design that mainly consists of a bottom and top deck. These trailers are specifically designed to carry and haul freights that cannot be carried or transported on a standard type of flatbed, which is usually due to height restrictions. The maximum legal dimensions and weight for a Stepdeck – Step Deck Trailers are as follows:
- Stepdecks Maximum freight weight is 48,000 pounds.
- Stepdecks Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
- Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Legal Freight Height- 10 ft
Stretch Double Drop Trailers
A Stretch Double-Drop Trailer is generally used for carrying oversized shipments. Its lower deck allows you to load products that can be as tall as 10 feet. It also comes with a so-called “well,” a longer piece at the trailer’s back deck and middle portion. The well usually measures from 25 feet to 29 feet. Legal weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Stretch Double Drops Max freight weight is 45,000 pounds.
- Stretch Double Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
- Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Length- Main Deck 29 ft – 65 ft
- Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
- Max Stretch Double Drop Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers
RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are excellent for carrying tall and long freights. It comes with a detachable front, allowing the trailer to be dropped on the ground in order to create a ramp. It is capable of hauling and carrying freights weighing up to 150,000 pounds. It can go from 3 axles up to 20 plus axles for heavier shipments. RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are more specialized so they render a more expensive usage. Legal weight and dimensions of a RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are as follows:
- RGN’s Maximum freight weight is 42,000 pounds.
- Removable Gooseneck – RGN Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Length- Main Deck 29 ft
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Width- 8.5 ft
- Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft